With you, we can cover it all.
River City Mag is Richmond, VA’s #1 source for arts, dining and entertainment.
Backed by a team of experts, River City Magazine and RiverCityMag.com are designed to connect Richmond residents and visitors with the best selection of restaurants, events, shops, and other exciting experiences that Richmond, VA has to offer. We pride ourselves on featuring relevant content and information you can trust. We invite you to be a source for that relevant and authoritative content if you join our contributor program.
What is the contributor program?
The River City Mag contributor program is a unique platform where those who live, work and play in the Richmond,VA metro area can submit original content to be considered for publication on our site. It is completely free. We know that the best advice about Richmond comes from those who love Richmond. Experience is a fantastic teacher, and we believe that your love for this city is worth more than gold.
How do I know if I’m a good match for the contributor program?
We are selective when determining who to accept as a contributor. This program is strictly reserved for those who live, work and play in the Richmond, VA metro area. However, there are other criteria that also applies.
- You are knowledgeable about Richmond, VA news and entertainment.
- As it pertains to Richmaond, VA, you are an expert in one or more of the following areas: dining, entertainment, lifestyle, the arts, business and news.
- You have identified a target audience that you would like your articles to be of interest to.
- You have written for a publication before and are able to produce your work when asked.
- You have perfect grammar and strong writing skills.
What are the benefits of becoming a contributor?
Part of our mission at River City Magazine and RiverCityMag.com is to provide those who live, work and play in Richmond, VA the ability to promote their area of expertise via our platforms. By sharing your personal and professional experiences, you will be granted room to becoming a thought leader and notable taste maker within Richmond,VA. But just sharing your story and getting your name out there isn’t the only pro.
- Expand your outreach. Content published through the contributor program is shared with over 100,000 readers of our print publication and over 5,000 unique online visitors each month. Content is also promoted across the RiverCityMag social feeds, which include Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Promote yourself. Each of your published online articles will automatically link to your RiverCityMag.com profile, where potential clients, customers or mentees can choose to contact you directly.
- Promote your company. We allow one link to your personal or professional website in every article you create. Not only will this help drive traffic to your page, but it will also help you build your brand.
- Help others. Our mission is to help people grow their footprint in Richmond, VA. By sharing your stories, experiences and professional thoughts, you can act as a mentor to others.
What should I write about?
Upon being accepted to the program and granted access to the contributor dashboard, you will have the freedom to write about your own ideas and interests. We are always looking for fresh perspectives on popular areas of interest in Richmond, VA. However, if you’re having trouble coming up with a concept or can’t narrow down which area of expertise you’d like to share first, you may consider the following:
- Business Watch:What new and exciting business should Richmond residents and visitors flock to? What makes this business special and exciting? What new experiences does this business provide its customers?
- The Arts: Including reviews or music concerts, gallery openings, plays and other expressions of visual and performance arts.
- Restaurants: Includes reviews of, suggestions for and lists of the areas most notable restaurants.
- News: Find the story? Get the scoop!
- Lifestyle: Topics include fashion & beauty, home & garden, shopping, community gatherings and more.
- Events: Recap an event that you just can’t stop talking about.
What are the rules for contributed content?
We publish content from different people because we want to provide our audience with a series of well-rounded perspectives. However, we may edit your content for quality, clarity and length, but we will try to keep it as close to the original as possible. Additionally, articles
- Must include a minimum of 800 words.
- Must convey an authoritative, unique perspective
- It must be 100% original content.
- Unless an opinion piece, all content must be based on your own experiences and supplemented by research and/or third-party information, where appropriate.
How do I become a River City contributor?
To become a River City contributor, you will need to apply for our contributor program, simply send an email to express your interest. In your email you mist include the following:
- A short bio.
- Your area of interest:
- The Arts, Food & Drink, Style & Beauty, News, Lifestyle, Events, Business Watch
- Links to previously published content
- Sample stories you might want to cover
- Links to your personal social media to help us verify your identity
The information you provide in your email allows us to evaluate whether or not you are a good match for our contributor program.
Once you have been accepted, you will be invited to create an account where you can upload a short bio, an image and other content. Your account must be fully completed before your articles are published.
How long will it take for my application to be approved?
It can take up to a week for your email to be reviewed by our editorial staff and approved.
What happens after I submit an article?
The editorial team will review your application to ensure it meets our guidelines for quality, length and originality. That team will then approve or decline the article. In the event of a decline, the editors will usually include a note to indicate why it was sent back. A declined article can be fixed to address the issue and resubmitted. If your article is accepted, you will receive a notification. From there, it goes into a queue to be copy edited and produced. Then it will be scheduled to publish either online or in print.
Why might an article get rejected?
- It is too short (800 words minimum) and not comprehensive enough.
- It has been published elsewhere online.
- It is poorly written and contains a lot of grammatical and spelling errors.
- It is overly promotional for a specific company or product.
How long does it take for my articles to be published?
From the time of submission, it may take up to a week for the article to be accepted. It may take up to a week from then to appear on the site. The editorial team strives to be as responsive as possible, but due to the high volume of submissions, it can take time. If you feel your article is taking longer than that, please email editorial@RiverCityMag.com.